Best Fast Food

Meet the Staff

Hey, my name is Aliyeah! I am an active member of National, Social Studies, and Math Honors Society, as well as Vice President of Leadership in DECA. When I'm not working or doing a school activity, I...

Studying Abroad: Is it Worth it?

Studying Abroad: Is it Worth it?

Picture it: you’re soaking up the rays on the warm, sandy beaches of the Cayman Islands with your bathing suit on, your favorite pair of sunglasses, and a large sun hat on your head – all while earning college credit! That sounds like a dream, doesn’t it? Well, dream no more–this could be you!

Many students often have difficulty deciding what to do with their lives right after they graduate high school. Family and friends sometimes pressure someone to know exactly what they want to do. There are so many options that one can choose – all of which have the potential to end in success. For example, someone may choose to take a gap year to get to know themselves better in hopes of figuring out what they would like to do for a career, whereas, some decide to go to college right away because they are confident in their career aspirations.

What if there was an option that combined the two? Many institutions across the nation have implemented programs where students can study abroad. Students who choose to seize this opportunity should expect their horizons to be broadened outside of what they have always known. 

Studying abroad has many benefits including building one’s independence, practicing adaptability, gaining confidence, forging lasting friendships, and the experience of getting out of one’s comfort zone. Studying abroad opens many new doors and avenues, introducing students to new experiences and niches that they otherwise may have never uncovered, enabling them to learn more about themselves and find direction as to what their long-term career goals are.

Do you know a foreign language? If not, do you want to? Students who have studied abroad are much more likely to learn a language quicker and more efficiently than students who haven’t. Knowing a foreign language can benefit you by boosting your resume and skills that can improve your academic options for the future. About 76% of students who studied abroad had acquired skills that advanced their career skills.

Science teacher Jenna Miller shared her experiences studying abroad and how studying abroad gave her insight as to what her next step in her career would be.

“Bimini is where I discovered my love for teaching. Going into my experience, I was on the last leg of finishing my Bachelor of Science in Marine Science but was not sure what was next for me after graduation. I had a heart-to-heart with a Doctoral candidate from France, Jean Sebastien, and through that, I gained insight into my future. I’m a creature of habit and very calculated in what I do and also love interacting with kids. So, the best way to marry my love for research/nature/the ocean/working with kids and my aim to live a stable life was to teach.”

Alumni Hayley (2011) and Elizabeth Twigg (2012),  studied abroad during their junior year of college in Italy.

“Studying abroad is a transformative experience by being immersed in a new culture, learning a different language, and making lifelong friends around the world. It’s an adventure that brings a deeper understanding of yourself and the world,” Hayley expressed. “I studied abroad in Rome, and my favorite part was the mix of modern day restaurants and shops next to the historical sites. And being able to visit other countries easily on weekends. Just to be able to immerse yourself in a different culture and area is remarkable and a once in a lifetime opportunity.”

Elizabeth Twigg studied near Tuscany, a smaller town that is three hours away from Rome. 

Elizabeth added, “My favorite part while being in Italy was learning how to make pasta from scratch and meeting the man who owned the town where we stayed. We heard that the man he never came outside, and he decided to come out and meet us when we were at his winery. It was a very welcoming experience, and I will never forget it.”

There are some things to take into consideration before deciding to study abroad. What kind of person are you? Do you get homesick? Are you open to trying new things? Where will you go and with whom? What is the political climate in the area you are traveling to? How will you pay for the experience? While none of these questions should make or break your decision to study abroad, they are important to take into consideration to find an experience that best suits your needs to reap the greatest reward for you.

Another major factor to consider when considering traveling abroad is the cost. Too often, students and parents rule out the possibility of traveling abroad before they know all of the facts because of the stereotype that traveling abroad is only for the first class. The truth is, that studying abroad is a lot more accessible to all social classes now than it used to be. 

According to Bankwise.com, “The University of Louisville estimates that a semester-long study abroad program averages around $7,000 to $15,000.”

While this is undoubtedly a lot of money, colleges and corporations offer an abundance of scholarship opportunities that students can apply for to afford their travel abroad. 

While studying abroad is bound to be a life changing experience for many people, you must take into account all the factors that will go into leaving to an unknown destination with unknown people. Studying abroad is a great opportunity for people who are tired of being cramped in classes and want to go see the rest of the world and what it has to offer.