Best Fast Food

Meet the Staff
Audrey Austin
Audrey Austin
Staff Writer/ Media Producer

Hi! My name is Audrey Austin! I am a senior at CFHS, and this is my first year on The Prowler. I am a member of NEHS, SNHS, our school's lacrosse team, and a Teacher Cadet. I enjoy things like reading,...

Mac Demarco’s Influence on Music and Teens

Mac DeMarco is a Canadian singer, songwriter, and record producer who has made a significant impact on the Indie music scene in recent years. His laid-back, chill sound and his carefree, calm attitude have attracted a big group of devoted followers who see him as a role model and an influence on their lives. DeMarco has unintentionally become a symbol of a particular subculture of young people, often called Gen Z, who are searching for authenticity, a sense of community, and a feeling of belonging in a confusing and constantly changing world.

One of the reasons why Mac DeMarco has been so influential is his unique take on the Indie sound. According to Vivian O’Grady, “DeMarco has taken all the elements that made indie rock great in the first place and given them a fresh, contemporary spin.” His music has a retro vibe that harkens back to the 60s and 70s, but it also has a modern sensibility that appeals to younger audiences. DeMarco’s lo-fi production style and fuzzy guitar riffs have become instantly recognizable to his fans, creating a sense of comfort that is hard to resist.

What really sets Mac DeMarco apart from other Indie musicians is his personality. He is playful, unconnected, and sometimes downright silly, but he is also honest about his struggles with substance abuse, mental health, and relationships. His willingness to be vulnerable and authentic in his lyrics and interviews has earned him a devoted following of young people who see him as a friend or a mentor.

Salvador Lopez, a freelance writer, notes, “DeMarco preaches a message of self-acceptance and celebrates the flaws and quirks that make each individual unique.” His fans appreciate that message and have embraced him as a spokesperson for their generation.

When asked how his music makes listeners feel, the answer is usually something like “happy,” “chill,” or “nostalgic.” His music has a way of transporting people to a simpler time when life was less complicated. It creates a feeling of warmth and comfort that is especially valuable to younger people who are dealing with the stresses of growing up and societal pressures.

However, his music is not just escapist; it also has a way of addressing serious issues with a sense of humor and compassion. His song “Ode to Viceroy,” for example, is about his love for a particular brand of cigarettes, but it also reveals his addiction struggles and his self-destructive tendencies. That kind of honesty and vulnerability is what makes his fans feel connected to him.

Haylie Fackler, a junior, said,”Mac DeMarco’s work is all very similar throughout his discography in the best way possible. He includes relaxing instrumentals, which are almost dreamy in a way, and he portrays many feelings and emotions throughout his music, creating personal connections with the listener. Overall, I think Mac DeMarco is an amazing artist who is able to perfectly transfigure his thoughts into something captivating.”

Sophomore Karla Ascencio added,”I’m one of the many people who view Mac Demarco’s music as very therapeutic. His music can do so many things like calm my anxiety and just make me feel better as a whole. My favorite song is One More Love Song.”

In conclusion, Mac DeMarco is more than just another Indie musician; he is a cultural phenomenon. His music and his personality have inspired a new generation of young people who are searching for meaning and authenticity in a world that can often feel cold and uncaring. Through his unique sound, his personal struggles, and his disarming charisma, he has become an influence on the lives of many teenagers. His fans see in him a reflection of themselves and a source of comfort and inspiration. Mac DeMarco may not have set out to become a role model, but he has certainly become one.