Is the Military in Your Future?

Jenna Graziano, Staff Writer/ Media Producer

As you approach the end of high school, the pressure can be strong to go to college. Oftentimes, choosing to go to college is the safest option. It’s all you have been taught to do. You know how to do school. But what if you have that thought in the back of your head saying, “I don’t want to go to college.” Can a person even do that? 

For some students, college is the best choice. However, as it turns out, not attending college can be the best decision for some high school students. You might be reluctant to go to college because you don’t know what to do and feel as if you would be wasting your time. Maybe you want to pursue a job that doesn’t require a college degree. You might also be concerned about dealing with college debt. These are thoughts that run through high schoolers’ minds everyday as they get closer to graduation. Choosing the right option can be extremely difficult. 

What can you do if you don’t want to go to college? There are many alternatives. Many people graduate from high school and turn their attention toward service to their community and country. 

Many students do this by joining the military. There are five different branches choices:  Army, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard and Air Force.

Triston Barefoot, a freshman at Horry Georgetown Technical College and a 2020 alumni, stated, “I am dropping out of college to join the military. I would rather serve and fight for my country than be in debt from college.”  Barefoot left for boot camp back in December.  

Studies show that college enrollment rates have declined by an average of 1.67% per year since 2010. Due to staying home and attending school in person every few weeks this past couple of years because of Covid, it has led many students to think differently about college. In 2020, the institutions of higher education announced extreme losses in the hundreds who are not attending college.  

Mia Naples, a sophomore, explained,” I want to go into the military mainly because I want to make money and travel. Being in the military has a lot of advantages because it brings out independence and discipline. In my opinion, the military is a great choice if you don’t want to go to college.” 

Deciding whether you want to go to college or not is extremely stressful. Finding out what you want to do for the rest of your life at such a young age is hard. College isn’t for everyone; the military might be your answer.