CFHS Honor Societies

Alexis Acree, Staff Writer

You may have heard fellow classmates making mention of their membership in honor societies. Our school offers honor societies for nearly every subject. They include: English, science, Rhu Kappa (National Social Studies Honor Society), Mu Alpha Theta (National Mathematics Honor Society), International Thespian Society, National Art Honor Society, Quill and Scroll Honor Society, National Spanish Honor Society, National Honor Society, and Delta Epsilon Phi (National German Honor Society).

In order to be inducted or entered into an honor society, students must maintain a certain GPA. Varying by society, other requirements may also be met. For example, National English Honor Society students must acquire an average of a 90 in previously-taken English courses. Students benefit by being a part of the club as the membership is seen as a privilege. Senior members receive a cord for their membership of each society to wear around their neck at graduation.

The group of involved students may meet anywhere from one to four times a month. They discuss anything from necessary membership dues to charity work they may be doing together. Tutoring struggling students is also often required for members.

Student Body President, Cassidy Duff says, “Being a part of an honor society is a great way to be a part of a group, as well as gain recognition for hard work.” Duff is a current member of three honor societies: Mu Alpha Theta, National Honor Society, and National English Honor Society.

If a college is sorting through applicants, membership of  societies may set a student apart from the majority.

Teacher and coordinator of International Thespian Society, Matt Ward shares, “Honor societies are a great way to illustrate students’ insight to discipline outside of the classroom.”

Not only do they help with acceptance into college, but often times exclusive scholarship opportunities arise for members of honor societies. Members may be offered college money just for being a part of the society or given an essay that can be turned into cash for schooling.

If you are interested in becoming a member of an honor society, visit our schools’ website for more information.